Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The beginning Bike 001


I have wanted to build a bicyle frame for over 15 years. Back in 1990 I ordered a Mountain Bike frame kit from Quality Bicycle and a Paterak Manual. I nice True Temper steel set. I had many dreams about the final outcome and I never got around to finishing it as I got hung up on the Jig design, and I could never get past that. Fast forward to 2007 and I decided to just go ahead and make the damn thing. I didn't care about anything other than finishing it and riding it. I managed to get my hands on Talbot's book and along with the New Paterak Manual, I managed to build the frame and fork. With the birth of my first child it took me aver a year to complete the frame. Maybe 40 hours were involved and it is still a work in progrss. I will be attending the UBI bicycle frame building class in July of 2008 and starting down the frame building path. I came up with the name Palmares Cycles after months of trying to come up with a good name. It's tough. Palmares in French is a word used for Honor's. Most high level racers have a Palmares, or a listing of what races they have placed very well in. I'm currently working on the logo design and website. All of this is a work in progress and more fun that business at this point.


No comments: